It’s just as essential for your dog to eat healthy foods as it is for you. But the food that’s best for us is not always best for dogs, so it’s important to talk to your vet first about safe foods for your own dog. She may have special dietary needs. That said, one ingredient that is good for many dogs is sweet potatoes which is why we include them in our healthy dog treats.
We include sweet potatoes in our dog food and treats because they are as nutritious for dogs as they are for people. Some of the health benefits of sweet potatoes include:
- Low in fat: Helps your dog maintain a healthy weight while eating nutrient-rich food
- High in fiber: Helps regulate and maintain a healthy digestive system
- Vitamin A: Is important for a healthy coat, healthy eyes, and proper growth
- Vitamin B6: Helps your dog metabolize amino acids, nurtures the blood cells and nerve cells, aids in hormone regulation, immunity, and much more
- Vitamin C: Helps scavenge free radicals, reduce inflammation, and strengthen the brain
- Calcium: Strengthens bones and muscles and regulates nerve transmission, decreasing twitching
- Iron: Is a critical factor in forming hemoglobin, which carries oxygen in the blood
- Potassium: Aids in the healthy functioning of muscles, nerves, and enzymes
- Magnesium: Facilitates the transfer of energy at a cellular level, whether that’s energy for moving a muscle, keeping the heart beating, or thinking a thought
- Manganese: Aids in the digestion and absorption of proteins and carbs, development of healthy muscles, and function of internal organs
It’s pretty clear that sweet potatoes are a great food for dogs. But, as we say many times in our blogs, do not feed your dog “people food”! NO sweet potato-marshmallow soufflé for your pup. And don’t smother them in butter or oil and roast them up thinking you’ll share them with your dog. If you’re going to feed your dog sweet potatoes, boil them or cook them in the oven, peel them, let them cool, mash them a little, and then feed them to your canine friend.
We’ve taken on a lot of that work for you by including sweet potatoes in our Saint Rocco’s Beef Entrée. Our beef entrée, which is our fresh-food option, has 10 healthy, human-grade ingredients, including sweet potatoes. Our entrée is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile for all life stages. We offer a clear guide of recommended amounts for your dog, based on weight and age, which you can review with your vet to make sure your dog is getting the very best nutrition for her needs.
You’ll also find sweet potato in our Chicken and Sweets Treats, and pumpkin, which has a similar health-benefits profile, in our Savory Red Meat Treats. All our treats contain just six, healthful, human-grade ingredients.
We want nothing but the best for our dog, Cooper, who eats our treats and entrees, and we want nothing but the best for your dog, too.